Wednesday 30 August 2017

REVIEW // THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR

SPOILER FREE REVIEW // THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR BY KATHARINE MCGEE

Rating : 4.25/5 stars

I'm back with another review like phew! It's been awhile but I'm happy to be back on track with my blog so expect a lot from me these days alright!

This book is quite hard to explain as it follows five different point of views and does not have a specific plot or whatsoever so I think it's better for me to give out the synopsis that is written at the back of the book to avoid any unintentional spoilers. First off, what you need to know is that the setting of the novel is in Manhattan a hundred years later in 2118 and the whole New York City citizens reside in this huge thousand floor tower. The higher the floor you live in, of course the higher class you are. As I was saying we follow five different characters, firstly we have Leda Cole, beneath her flawless exterior belies a secret addiction - to a drug she never should try, and a boy she never should have touched. Next we have Eris Dodd-Radson, whose beautiful carefree life falls into pieces when a heartbreaking betrayal tears her family apart. And then we have Rylin Meyers, her job in one of the highest floor sweeps her into a world and a romance she never imagined. Watt Bakradi is next, as a tech genius with a secret, he knows everything about everyone but when he is hired to spy for an upper-floor girl, he finds himself caught in a complicated web of lies. And lastly living on top of everyone is the girl who is designed to be perfect, Avery Fuller. She seems to have it all, yet is tormented by the one thing she can never have.

So yea, firstly I want to say that this is obviously a character driven book and you have to immerse yourself into this set of characters to really like the book. As for the plot, there is no actual plot like fantasy books so it is an eye-opening experience to see where this book takes me as I have no idea what would happen next. One thing that intrigues me is how Katharine McGee tangles all the characters together, like in ways I didn't expect but really enjoyed. I really like the concept of the book as well, everything and everyone in a big and tall tower and I really love the castes concept like the higher floor you live in, the higher class you are. It is mind-blowing to the contrast between the upper class crowd and the lower class ones. I definitely learnt a lot of hidden clues about castes in this futuristic novel. The plot as I said could go anywhere without a specific plot line, and I was shockingly surprised by the ending and the last 100 pages of the novel. It was just a roller coaster ride as I did not see anything coming and everything happened in a whim but not in the way that makes you confusing and lost. I definitely think that there is a lot of drama in the book and everyone compared it to Gossip Girl but for me, someone who doesn't watch the TV show, I think it is still quite original and unique.

Next I want to talk about the characters. Boy oh boy, the side characters also have their own personalities and they too stand out in their own way. Let's talk about my Cord alright. He is just everything you want in a boyfriend like heads up girls! If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about but as for you all who hasn't read it, I highly recommend you check it out (just for Cord) as the book contains a lot of amazingly developed characters. I've seen people's reviews saying that there is no difference between Avery, Leda and Eris but to me, they all seem different as the book progresses. You can picture how they would have dealt in situations and it definitely sets them apart. I think the character development is great especially for a debut novel with so many characters, Katharine McGee did a splendid job in creating different voices in the novel. My favorite has to be Watt like hands down! He is a tech genius (just in case you've forgotten) and boy oh boy! I have to say his chapters are so much fun to read from and he is just so adorable in general. I like how raw he is at the same time witty and I like how he interacts with Nadia (not gonna tell you who is she, you just have to find out for yourself) and boy! It is so different from the other characters! I also love Eris and the book did not do her justice! Like what even is with the ending! The other characters are okay, and if I were to talk about every single detail, this would be like 10 pages long. HAHA. But let's just say that beware of Leda alright, No spoilers here but just you see!

The writing style works quite well for me. I like how Katharine McGee writes and how she expresses her characters' feelings and thoughts. The writing style I'd say is quite descriptive but it works totally fine for me as the world is fast forwarded into 2118 and a lot of the technologies and words need to be explained. I really don't have much fuss over her writing and I like how she kept things simple and not like super complicated and messy.

So I think I covered all the aspects in the book and overall I really did enjoy the book and as a debut novel, I can see a lot of potential for the series to grow and expand out and I would definitely check out Katharine McGee's future works and I like this book enough to want to read the sequel which has already came out. If you are into futuristic novels with quite a sprinkle of drama and unexpected twists and turns, and of course heads up to Gossip Girl fans, you might want to check this one out because I promise you, the book as a whole would not disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHECK THIS OUT!

REVIEW // THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR